SOCIAL PROGRAMME

CIBJO CONGRESS SOCIAL PROGRAMME

The hosts of the 2014 CIBJO Congress are offering delegates and their accompanying persons a rich array of cultural experiences that will introduce them to the history and diversity of Moscow.

SATURDAY & SUNDAY TOURS (MAY 17 & 18)

On Saturday, May 17, and Sunday, May 18, a two-and-a-half guided tour of the State Diamond Fund Exhibition and the museums of the Kremlin will be offered, including the Assumption Cathedral and the new Indian jewellery exhibition.

The tours will leave both from the lounge of the Kempinski Hotel at 10:30 AM and 2:00 PM on both the Saturday and the Sunday, and respectively return to the hotel at 1:20 PM and 4:50 PM.

Each tour group on the Saturday (Group A and Group B) and Sunday (Group C and Group D) is limited to 25 people. If the number of registered people exceeds the limit, the delegates will be offered another group.

BOLSHOI OPERA PERFORMANCE (MAY 18)

On Sunday, May 18, congress participants may attend a performance of The Tsar’s Bride, an opera by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, which will be performed by the world renowned Bolshoi Opera at the historic Bolshoi Theatre on central Moscow’s Teatralnaya Square.

Attendees will be required to purchase tickets, which will be booked by the congress organisers. The early evening performance will begin at 6:00 PM. Ticket prices are RUB 4,000 each. All seats are in the stalls.

Tickets can be purchased for cash in roubles on May 17 (9:00 AM to 6:00 PM) and May 18 (9:00 AM to 3:00 PM) in the lounge of the Kempinski Hotel.

ACCOMPANYING PERSONS’ TOURS (MAY 19 & 20)

For accompanying persons, organized excursions will be provided.

On Monday morning, May 19, the tour (Group E) will visit the State Historical Museum. Participants should meet in the lounge of the Kempinski Hotel at 9:30 AM. The tour will take place from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM and return to the hotel at 12:30 PM.

On Monday afternoon, May 19, the tour (Group F) will visit the Armory Chamber. Participants should meet in the lounge of the Kempinski Hotel at 1:30 PM. The tour will take place from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM and return to the hotel at 4:30 PM.

On Tuesday morning, May 20, the tour (Group G) will visit the State Tretyakov Gallery. Participants should meet in the lounge of the Kempinski Hotel at 9:30 AM. The tour will take place from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM and return to the hotel at 12:30 PM.

On Tuesday afternoon, May 20, the tour (Group H) will visit the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts. Participants should meet in the lounge of the Kempinski Hotel at 1:30 PM. The tour will take place from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM and return to the hotel at 4:30 PM.


The State Diamond Fund

Housed in the Kremlin Armoury Museum in the Moscow Kremlin, the State Diamond Fund is a separate institution which is run by the State Fund of Precious Stones within the Ministry of Finance. It houses a collection of state jewels that can be compared with the British Crown Jewels. Highlights include Catherine the Great's coronation crown, known as the Great Imperial Crown, the 190-carat Orlov Diamond and numerous Faberge eggs. The fund was begun by Tsar Peter the Great in 1719.

 

The Kremlin Museums

Known today largely as the official residence of the President of the Russian Federation, the Kremlin is a historic fortified complex at the heart of Moscow, overlooking the Moskva River to the south, Saint Basil's Cathedral and Red Square to the east, and the Alexander Garden to the west. It includes five palaces, four cathedrals and the enclosing Kremlin Wall with Kremlin towers. At its heart is Cathedral or Sobornaya Square, which owes its name to the three cathedrals facing it – the Cathedral of the Assumption, the Cathedral of the Archangel and the Cathedral of the Annunciation. The tallest structure on the square is the Ivan the Great Bell Tower.

The Bolshoi Theatre

Home to the word famous Bolshoi Ballet and Bolshoi Opera companies, the Bolshoi Theatre opened on Teatralnaya Square, in the centre of Moscow, on October 20, 1856, the coronation day of Tsar Alexander II. Following a six-year reconstruction, the neo-classical theatre was recently reopened, during which many lost features of the historic building were reinstated, restoring it to its previous grandeur.

State Historic Museum

Founded in 1872, and located between Red Square and Manege Square in Moscow, the State Historic Museum houses a massive collection that ranges from relics of prehistoric tribes that lived on the territory of present-day Russia, through priceless artworks acquired by members of the Romanov dynasty. It was built to tell the story of the history of Russia.




The Armoury Chamber

Established in 1808, the Armoury Chamber is one of the oldest museums of Moscow, and located in the Kremlin. It originated as the royal arsenal in 1508, and until the transfer of the royal court to St Petersburg, it was in charge of producing, purchasing and storing weapons, jewellery and various household articles of the tsars. After the Bolshevik Revolution, the Armoury collection was enriched with treasures taken from the Patriarch sacristy, Kremlin cathedrals, monasteries and private collections. In 1960 it became the official museum of the Kremlin. It today houses collections of the Russian, Western European and Eastern arts, spanning the period from the 5th to the 20th centuries.

The State Tretyakov Gallery

The State Tretyakov Gallery houses one of Russia’s foremost collections of fine art. Its roots go back to 1856, when the Moscow merchant Pavel Mikhailovich Tretyakov acquired works by Russian artists of his day with the aim of creating a collection, which might later grow into a museum of national art. In 1892 he presented his collection of approximately 2,000 works to the Russian nation. The gallery was built at the turn of the 20th century to the south from the Moscow Kremlin and 1985 was merged with a gallery of contemporary art, housed in a large modern building along the Garden Ring, immediately south of the Crimean Bridge.

The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts

The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts is the largest museum of European art in Moscow. Opening its doors to the public in May 1912, after the Russian capital was moved to Moscow in 1918 the Soviet government decided to transfer thousands of works from St Petersburg's Hermitage Museum to the new facility. These paintings formed a nucleus of the Pushkin museum's collections of Western art, but the most important paintings were added later from the State Museum of New Western Art. These comprised Impressionist and Post-Impressionist artwork, including works by Van Gogh, Gauguin, Picasso, Dufrénoy and Matisse.